Room to Read is working in Bangladesh since 2008. We are inviting applications from Bangladeshi nationals to work in the following regular position:
(Based in Natore and Dhaka District)
The Literacy Coach (“LC”) serves as the technical resource for applying techniques in classrooms and libraries to improve literacy skills and the habits of reading in children. S/he supports and coaches teachers, librarians, and principals to adopt new ways of working with children to increase their literacy skills and habits of reading. The LC will report to the Literacy Program Operations Officer with strong communication, programmatic direction, and oversight provided by the Literacy Program Officer (Technical). The Literacy Coach has no direct reports.
Roles & responsibilities
Program Implementation, Training, and Monitoring
- Coordinates closely with the Literacy Program Officer (Technical) and the Instructional Design and Teacher Support Unit to ensure s/he is successfully implementing the program design and able to provide feedback on how well it is working.
- Regularly observes and coaches Grade 1 and 2 teachers in delivering the instructional component of the Literacy Program. Models good classroom instruction techniques and provides feedback to teachers about their performance.
- Regularly observes and coaches primary grade teachers and librarians in the implementation of the library period and reading activities. Models good reading activity techniques and provides feedback to teachers and librarians about their performance.
- Supports Grade 1 and 2 teachers in effective use of ongoing student tracking assessments to inform instruction.
- Conducts and analyzes data related to formative student assessments to inform support for Grade 1 and 2 teachers.
- Regularly provides an update to the principal on progress and coaches him/her on ways to support teachers and ensure longer term sustainability of literacy outcomes within the school.
- Attends and participates in teacher and librarian trainings related to the Literacy program.
- Participates in literacy events, parent meeting and other community activities.
- Participates in regular review meetings and any other activities which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
- Participates in donor site visits and provides information to donors about Room to Read’s Literacy program as needed.
Planning, Reporting and Documentation
- Conducts ongoing planning, documentation, and reporting of school visits.
- Documents best practices and lessons learned and shares with the Literacy Program Field Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree on Education, Social Science, Business Management and other related field;
2 years of relevant working experience with Development project preferred;
- Desire and ability to spend 90% of time traveling and visiting school sites to provide coaching and monitor progress of program implementation;
- Ability to monitor progress of program implementation;
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player;
- Willingness & ability to visit program sites extensively;
- Skill & experience of working with e-communication & people with diverse culture;
- Strong communication skills in Bangla and English;
- Excellent computer operating skill,
- Ability to work under pressure,
- Comfortable in a performance-based organization working with low overhead budget;
- Proven track record of achieving results;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Job Level: Entry
Job Nature: Full Time
Industry: NGO / Development
Preferred Business Area: NGO / Development
We offer competitive salary. The benefits include:
- Provident Fund
- 13th Month Bonus
- Discretionary Performance Bonus
- Health coverage including spouse and children
- Professional Development opportunities. The most significant benefit is the opportunity to work with one of the fastest growing international organizations, which has sole focus on education & continuously innovating efficient & effective social entrepreneurship
Bachelor’s degree on Education, Social Science, Business Management and other related field;
Send application & resume (please use your name in naming CV) to Senior Manager – Human Resources, Room to Read Bangladesh through email with the applied position’s title in the subject line to [email protected] on or before 08 December 2017. Any persuasion attempt will disqualify your candidacy. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying & developing the skills & leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.
“Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply”